I have been working with libowcapi recently, and have seen similair symptoms. There's a race condition in libow that, if it doesn't outright crash, causes problems with directory listings. I have a patch for this issue here:

https://gitlab.com/justinbrewer/owfs/commit/0234a2cecb56d0b6ca4d20a6100a2d2b2ba6bffb.patch

I was planning on submitting a pull request in the next day or so, but it sounds like it might help you.

As for building, from a clean git clone, I use this for working with just owcapi:

$ autoreconf -i && ./configure CFLAGS='-g -O0' --prefix=$HOME/opt/owfs --disable-{zero,ow{perl,python,php,tcl}} && make && make -k install

This lets me ignore most of the problematic language binding dependencies and hardcoded install paths.