OK, have you tried these queries in the Workbench?

What's with the quotes?

I see no close bracket on:
(1) [...] "<WoRMS:159343/Thunnus_atlanticus> rdf:type ?z"+
and
(3) [...] "<WoRMS:159343/Thunnus_atlanticus> ?y ?z"+

And the quote is outside the bracket (not sure how this could even Java parse) in:
(2) [...] "<WoRMS:159343/Thunnus_atlanticus> rdf:type ?z"+}

Could I take a fuller look at the code, or at the data?

Barry

I am having the same problem also with the version 5.3. Here the report:

1)      "SELECT Distinct *" +
                       "WHERE { " +
"<WoRMS:159343/Thunnus_atlanticus> rdf:type ?z"+

Results:
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#TLOSpecies
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#WoRMSSpeciesType
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#BioticElementType
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#PhysicalObjectType
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#TLO_Entity_Type
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#WoRMSBioticElementType

2) "SELECT Distinct ?z" +
                       "WHERE { " +
"<WoRMS:159343/Thunnus_atlanticus> rdf:type ?z"+}

Results:

18:06:46 1 result(s) in 37ms.

I should see at least one.

3) "SELECT Distinct ?y ?z" +
                       "WHERE { " +
"<WoRMS:159343/Thunnus_atlanticus> ?y ?z"+

Results:
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type
http://www.tlo.ics.forth.gr/TLO_entity#belongsTo

18:08:45 2 result(s) in 345ms.