Hi all,

I've been reading some of the comments on Scott Guthrie's blog, and there seem
to be quite a few
people asking for an RC2 of Visual Studio 2010.  I think I agree with this,
because I'm not
convinced RC1 was anything more than a Beta anyway. I mean, how could it really
be a Release
Candidate if it was delivered with major pieces missing? There's nothing worse
than having to
install something and then apply a whole list of patches to get it to behave
the way you want it.
What a waste of time that is.

Also, I noted a number of people commenting on whether they were going to take
up VS2010. We
will be going with VS2010 when it is released, provided that the feature set is
not less than what
we currently have, the speed is at least as good, the memory footprint doesn't
grind our systems
to a halt (open up 2 or more instances of VS2008 and the system eventually
crashes, but that's
something we find we do frequently) and the upgrade process is relatively
straight forward.

We attempted to upgrade our project to VS2010RC, but it had a number of issues,
including
problems with nested controls, etc. I know there is a patch out for that, but
still, that would require
everyone on my team to run those patches, so we won't be attempting to try it
out just yet. So we
are waiting for a more stable release. When that occurs, we'll probably switch
over at a point in
time that is convenient to us. Project phases are pretty short these days, so
if Microsoft provides
us with a relatively painless upgrade process, we'll probably go ahead and do
it between phases.

The major new feature that we care about is the built in xaml designer. It's
always handy to get a
rough visual feel for what we are constructing. Sure, it's not as good as
Blend, but considering how
resource intensive it is to run both Blend and VS2008, I think it will be quite
handy for my team. As
it is, most of us won't open Blend and do most of our work constructing and
tweaking raw xaml. I
know there are people who feel superior because they can do that, but it's
simply not as
productive to be modifying just raw xaml IMHO.

Regards,
Tony