On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 11:47 AM, Nathan Schultz <milish...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm a little surprised by comments that most dev's wouldn't know what a SQL
> Injection attack was. Most developers I've worked with have a class with
> some kind with a function to sanitizing data against SQL Injection.
>
> These days you don't see them used so often as SQL Parameters / Linq to SQL
> / Entity Framework / nHibernate, etc all offer protection against SQL
> Injection attacks. And many frameworks, such as MVC are making it easier
> then ever to protect against XSS attacks (and CSRF vulnerabilities to an
> extent), by making default syntax encode HTML.

It is *critical* that people realise things need to be encoded for
*context*, not just "HTML". I.e. what is valid output in a area such
as:

Is not valid when used here:

It's obvious when stated, but it's easy to miss, and having everything
"done for you", doesn't help, unless it's context-aware (which would
be great).

--
silky

http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/