Thanks all.  I think that answers my original question.

The site isn't live.  It's actually 2 sites - the main PHP site developed by
someone else, and a .NET based licensing site / web service which handles
the IPNs.  The PHP developers are testing the PayPal integration on their
end and the IPN handler page on the .NET site (my end) is emailing me when
it fails intermittently.

The license server came with the PayPal IPN handler out of the box, but it
was very poorly written and had almost no validation logic so I've rewritten
it but since I didn't have a lot of time budgeted for this I threw it
together rather quickly without looking at the PayPal doc in detail - looks
like I'll have to review the docs again.

The transaction type is "cart" each time, on the full messages and the
erroneous ones (for some reason I thought we were getting "web_accept"
transactions).  The variable I'm looking for and not finding on some of them
is "num_cart_items" but there are others that I need that are also missing
(this is just the first one).

For each message I'm logging all variables so I can see what we get and
what's missing.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Cheers.