On 5 November 2010 08:37, mike smith <meski...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, this is what I thought. And I can't help but feel this is
> > totally overrated. I mean, I don't know a single person who would say
> > using SVN is slow.
>
> It is glacially slow when your repository is not local.  There, a
> single person has said it.  Look at minute/s to do something like a
> diff at times.  Go off and make a coffee/s if you're doing an entire
> update.  Have lunch if you're picking up all the code for the first
> time.

Either you have SVN set up incorrectly or the problem isn't really 'not
local' but your Internet link.

All of our stuff sits in a managed DC and we actually VPN in to our core
company network, and that is where SVN resides.

I regularly get over a meg a second doing a checkout. I just did a checkout
on a project I've not touched in a while and got 40.71 megabytes in 38
seconds - as a mixture of small files and large. I'd hardly call that
glacially slow. I'd actually call that pretty damned quick all things
considered.

I just asked it for a revision graph in the documentation folder of the same
project (at revision 542) and it only took 6 seconds.

--
*David Connors* | da...@codify.com | www.codify.com
Software Engineer