On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Dylan Tusler
<dylan.tus...@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au> wrote:

> Got a colleague who is travelling to UK, Greece and Turkey, and she wants to
> be able to do some internet stuff (banking, email etc) via mobile handset
> while on the move.
>
> Better to look for a data plan? Or rely on WiFi? How would you do it?

I did this, and actually I created an entirely new email account
purely for the trip, I must admit I did some banking through the
internet cafes, but I did not have a laptop; ideally you would avoid
internet banking altogether, perhaps, and do it via some other
strategy.

> Also, we have a co-worker that recently had her identity snatched via open
> WiFi in a cafe. Ended up losing her email account, and
> having her bank account compromised, partly because of lax password
> practices. How can you harden up against these kinds of things?

Don't use open WiFi for anything you care about.

--
Noon Silk

http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/  (Noon Silk) | http://www.mirios.com.au:8081 >

Fancy a quantum lunch?