OK! ... too much choice, leaving me more confused.

I thought VirtualBox had to be installed as the native OS, but it looks like
it runs under Windows and then I can run more Windows inside it (is that
right?) However, I do feel a bit nervous about a product with which I'm
unfamiliar and I've heard no discussion about it amongst people I know. I
know someone who has Linux as the native OS and running Windows inside it
using VirtualBox, but I don't know how difficult it was to setup and to
maintain.

I see that XP Mode is simply a pre-configured XP SP3 running under Windows
Virtual PC.

What about VMWare Player? I'm using this on an older test box and it seems
to run Win7 inside Vista acceptably.

One thing I forgot to mention is that it would be nice if the virtual XP
could use two monitors, but perhaps that's asking too much at the moment.