All drives are flaky time bombs, it's amazing they work at all.

I lost two SATA drives in a PC due to a failure of the video card zapping
the controller on the HD. It is conceivably possible to restore the drive by
seeking out someone who was smart enough to keep a load of old drives & you
might get one manufactured on the same day and country.. enterprising these
guys charge upwards of a grand to replace that simple circuit board.

Pity the drive manufacturers don't make circuit boards that work for all the
drives they manufacture.

- Stuart

On 3 June 2011 15:08, Craig van Nieuwkerk <crai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know much about SSD's but I think once they die they are a
> brick, so make sure you back up!
>

> > What is particularly different about SSDs that you referred to “the kind
> of
> > sudden violent death that only SSD's can really manage”?

Stuart Kinnear
Mobile: 040 704 5686.   Office: 03 9589 6502

SK Pro-Active! Pty Ltd
acn. 81 072 778 262
PO Box 6117 Cromer, Vic 3193. Australia

Business software developers.
SQL Server, Visual Basic, C# , Asp.Net, Microsoft Office.