Hi Greg,

You could always install BIDS locally by installing the SQL Server 2008 R2
Developer Edition? It's probably not installed by default, but I think it is
available.

We're currently still targetting SSRS 2005, so i'm not 100% sure on this.
But my past research indicated that you can author SSRS 2008 R2 reports
using Visual Studio 2008.

>From memory I think BIDS (for 2008 R2) is actually just VS 2008 with the
addition of some Reporting Services add-ins. We currently author our SSRS
2005 reports in a copy of Visual Studio 2005 with the Reporting Services
add-ins.

Will