That's correct, we are using SSRS 2008 R2, and it is indeed using VS 2008 as
the shell for the BI tools.

Cheers,
Jake

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of William Luu
Sent: Tuesday, 14 June 2011 9:18 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: Business Intelligence Development Studio (BIDS) vs VS2010

Hi Greg,

You could always install BIDS locally by installing the SQL Server 2008 R2
Developer Edition? It's probably not installed by default, but I think it is
available.

We're currently still targetting SSRS 2005, so i'm not 100% sure on this. But
my past research indicated that you can author SSRS 2008 R2 reports using
Visual Studio 2008.

From memory I think BIDS (for 2008 R2) is actually just VS 2008 with the
addition of some Reporting Services add-ins. We currently author our SSRS 2005
reports in a copy of Visual Studio 2005 with the Reporting Services add-ins.

Will