I should add that the Oracle/Sun error I get is 25099, and the Oracle Java
website has this note -

SYMPTOMS

While Java installation is in progress, a message box with the following
error is displayed:

Error 25099. Unzipping core files failed.

CAUSE

The actual root cause of this issue is still under investigation. Error
25099 indicates that the Java installation process has failed.

WORKAROUND

Step 1 : Completely delete content of the following directory: *

         C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\

(modify the folder appropriately for 64-bit Windows ) This is the method I
have always used (but the first time I discovered the note on this error
condition)

This is a PITA since it is necessary to uninstall (or stop services and
unload Java), reboot, then delete the folder. I'm surprised Oracle can't
work out better update solution.

  _____

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia