Hi Greg,

If you're ok with buying, City Software has one on sale for $572 on their
website - http://www.citysoftware.com.au/Projector_Units.aspx
You can pick it up from their store in Mt Waverly (if you select that
option).

There's also a BENQ one at a city shop for $489 -
http://www.tammex.com.au/store/benq-ms510-2700-ansi-svgaprojector-p-10165.html

This was found via staticice -
http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=projector%20state%3Avic%20price%3A300..1000&start=21&links=20&showadres=1&pos=2

Anyway, just found a "Sublime Audio Visual" place on Google, which does
Projects/screen hire and are located in the East Bentleigh area. Costs start
from $132 per day.
http://www.sublimeav.com.au/Projectors-and-Projector-Screen-Hire-Melbourne.php

Hope that helps :)

Will