David,

When optimizing code then you will be looking for your best "bang for
buck" and focus on slow parts of an app.

In this case, we are not optimizing but selecting which code we are
about to write.  If you have a choice or two pieces of code with
similar effort to implement both but one is much more efficient than
the other, even if the end user wont see the difference, I suggest you
should still use the more efficient code.

Maybe I should add a disclaimer that it's my opinion which does not
represent the opinions of others :)

David

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes
 will fall like a house of cards... checkmate!"
 -Zapp Brannigan, Futurama