I'm thinking of getting a gaming laptop for development purposes. I'll be
doing lots of SQL Analysis Server Cube processing and want something with
grunt.

The one at the top of the list currently is the MSI GT 680 at approx $2k.

The primary reason I'm thinking of using a gaming laptop is the sheer power
of the CPU coupled with a RAID0 striped SSD combo and upto 16GB as future
proofing.

I've used VS2010 for two years now and frankly I've yet to see it perform
well on any business machine  I've used. I figure that it's just time to
bite the bullet and get a machine designed for more.

Can anybody comment on whether think I'm just overspending.

--
regards,
Preet, Overlooking the Ocean, Auckland