I think putting dev's in vm's is a bit a55 about. I work in them at current
and also in  previous job, and have always been issues, mainly having to
wait for vm.

They gave me a nice big pd with a quad core with 8gb of ram. Then they
installed the corporate image on it. Windows XP 32 bit..  Thanks!  Money
well spent!

Server services commissioned the vm with soe server image, and said "there
you go. We'll do support until you install anything on it!". So you crack
it open, install notepad++, and you're not supported.

I've always argued for the soe as a vm, and let me as a developer use the
hardware you've paid for. After all the soe is for email and office
documents! Give me Norton Ghost and some storage and my physical pc setup
will be just as convenient as a backed up vm image.