See, i'm not buying that :)

Risk matrix - Consequences vs Likelihood.

Questions - Why are developers working with production grade data
(customers info etc). Shouldn't that be partitioned off into a more secure
locked down release area only. Developers working with "Foo Jones" is imho
the counter pill to the for mentioned claim.

Placing the developer pool in their own DMZ sandbox imho is also the way
forward, so if they are compromised its contained and all data etc should
be test data that doesn't include sensitive information.

IP getting stolen? Theres a million ways to bypass a locked down machine to
get the data in/out ..if someone were to expose the code base or documents
it first is likely they are moving data outside the confines of the said PC
and secondly are likely to screw up no matter how much Sys Admin nannying
is in place.

In all honesty, I think Sys Admins today really need to reign in their
approach to making the zen-like perfectly secure network. Devs need more
room to play in, so provide them with a sandbox to play in and look instead
into ways of emulating the network solutions they are build for than just
declaring SOE war.

Having spent a few tours in GOVT, its like the Sys Admins are still reading
their "How to prevent virus attacks on Windows NT 4.0" playbooks.

Didn't Suncorp recently adopt the "bring your own pc to work" philosophy?

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com