From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of noonie
Sent: Monday, 6 February 2012 3:57 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: [ot] Port Forwarding LDAP

Greetings,

We have created a web-based user management system that works with Active
Directory however the development time has been greatly increased by not having
a local environment to develop and test against.

I have managed to get a copy of the remote domain brought into our network with
he following config:-

Windows XP workstation (on our domain) hosting Microsoft Virtual Server
containing Windows Server(tm) 2003 Service Pack 2 as the guest O/S.

The guest is configured as a domain controller and contains a close copy of the
remote AD.

The guest O/S is configured to use the host loop-back network adapter and is
completely isolated from the host's domain.

What I want to do is be able to configure the application under development to
use LDAP connections and point them at the "replica" domain controller. The
fact that this is hosted on XP is giving me a headache but this configuration
is not open for negotiation.

I assume that I need a port forwarding solution but XP doesn't appear to have
one built in and Fpipe, which works fine for port 8080 --> 80 mapping appears
to choke when I connect using an LDAP browser (ADAM ADSI Edit) mapping 1389 -->
389. I can connect and display the schema root but drilling into the directory
returns errors at the client and logs errors in the Fpipe command window. I
suspect that I've just chosen the wrong tool to do the forwarding.

Has anyone had any success with this type of configuration and what
recommendations do you guys have for port forwarding/mapping utilities that
will work for me on XP?

noonie