My experiences with entity framework have been far from universally
positive. Code first I find slightly discomforting from the get-go because
of the plethora of attributes that end up on your model (especially when
used in conjunction with ASP.NET MVC... ) everything from the UI to
persistence ends up getting glued on to your model and this is somehow OK
becuase it is done with attributes?

EF keeps getting better with each release, but that is faint praise. In 4.5
they allowed pre-compilation of query expressions, which had previously
limited performance of one project I know of to about 5 concurrent users
before the CPUs melted through the case. In 4.5 they also apparently fixed
bugs like this
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/682429/how-can-i-query-for-null-values-in-entity-framework

The biggest problem I've seen with EF is the performance. Have a look at
some of the queries it generates to do simple-seeming selects and then
ponder how you would go about tuning said query. At the end of the day EF
seems like a really leaky abstraction over database access. It can work if
you're constantly looking 'under the covers' at the SQL it generates, and
are prepared to constantly think about how you need to structure a
particular linq expression or API call to work with EF, but it has always
felt to me like it causes more problems than it solves.

Joseph

--

w: http://jcooney.net
t: @josephcooney