David,

That's interesting - I'm working on a fairly large in production app
using EF at the moment.  We're not using POCO and currently have 259
tables in the EDMX.

What's the magic number that you ran into?

I also must admit that I agree with a lot of the things that Scott and
some of the other posters have said.  While EF does generate some
quite interesting SQL under the covers the majority of the time it has
been reasonable enough for our purposes.  For the times that it hasn't
we have custom rolled a few stored procs to cover the issues.

Neil.