Typing the first couple of letters works well in windows 7 too ;)
The problem with the new start menu is the complete lack of "My Documents".
"Recent" mia.
Removing the start menu button form the desktop taskbar adds nothing to the
user experience, just makes the experience a little less familiar.
Not having all apps appear in the taskbar makes it harder to task swap (it's
like there's two taskbars instead of one)
Not being able to run some apps in a window makes the Burdon on the end user
to know the difference between certain kinds of apps.