The main reason I like the brace on the next line is because I generally
use that line for a comment explaining that branch of the code.
For a function is not that relevant but for an if or for statement is
becomes relevant:

if ( bla bla )
{ // We need to initialize this because we forgot or something on those
lines
 ... more code here
}
else
{ // we need to do something else in here
... and there goes more code ...
}

Squashing the brace on the same line as the statement was ok when we could
only see 40 lines but now with FullHD screens just feels a "visual
optimization" that has no reason anymore.

Corneliu.