>Along with what the other guys have said, I'd add a vote for "try to avoid
the need for anything modal if possible".

>Is there any way to avoid the need for it to be modal?

I don't generally like modal stuff unless it's something that really
deserves the user's attention and this could be one. The web page order form
has no spare space to have a product picker which contain hundreds of
categorised items. It used to be a ComboBox but it was too long. Then it was
a context menu but it has unfriendly fly-out behaviour. Now we're
considering a modal popup, which would be my natural choice in a desktop
app.

Greg (K)