A useful interactive UX for searching the jQuery API:
http://oscarotero.com/jquery/
Nic

Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:57:43 +0800
Subject: Re: ASP.NET modal dialog effect
From: michael.minuti...@gmail.com
To: ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com

jQuery is Javascript in the same way that Rails is Ruby. jQuery provides you
with a higher level of abstraction to work with. I know lots of people who
wouldn't know how to begin writing JavaScript but a 30 minute primer on jQuery
and they can write powerful and flexible client-side code. I think it is well
worth spending a few hours looking into it. You can probably get 200 free
minutes of PluralSight and watch the start of
http://www.pluralsight-training.net/microsoft/Courses/TableOfContents/jquery-fundamentals
I think the issues between integrating javascript and webforms lie squarely in
webforms court. WebForms was designed explicitly to hide the details of the web
from the developer. Once you move away from WebForms you start to be able to
have multiple forms, you don't have to round-trip your controls (which are an
abstraction over html anyway) and client-side integration becomes way easier.
It starts to boil down to "Request a page from a server which contains all of
the interaction logic required for a single use case. Submit results of user
interaction back to the server." The server only gets involved at the beginning
and at the end.
Michael M. Minutillo
Indiscriminate Information Sponge
http://codermike.com