It's sad but true that many SEO's and Social Media Marketing companies are
like that (not all, I'm sure there's some really good ones). The problem is
that anyone can start one of these companies even if they have no clue, the
other day an acquaintance told me he was going to start a social media
marketing company, this acquaintance had been a fitness instructor for 10
years. He had no clue didn't even know who Jeff Bullas was or what
HootSuite was.

I despise that I work my butt off 7 days a week making sure I know what I'm
talking about and then some douche comes in with a sales hat and misleads
people giving our industry a bad name. I wish we could somehow have an
industry body that won't allow consultants or companies to practice unless
they have a minimum viable code of conduct, like accountants do.

James my suggestion if you're going to hire then look at that persons
history, what have they done? How long have they been a web nerd for?