I have noticed my youtube being slow compared to my internet connection....i
think you are right.  I am on bigpond liberty as well.

I will be looking for a alternative youtube anyay,  too many ads are
showing....again..getting too powerful for my liking...

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of mike smith
Sent: Wednesday, 31 October 2012 11:53 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: [OT] BigPond You Tube throttling

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Tony Wright <tonyw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

<rant>

I’m interested in seeing how many of you experience YouTube throttling.

Is it deliberate throttling, or what I'd call accidental (caused maybe by
inadequate backhaul)?

It irritates me that I have BigPond Cable Ultimate Liberty, experiencing
download speeds of between 50Mbps and 100Mbps most of the time, but any time I
visit YouTube or ABC iView, I get atrocious speeds. I never got this when I was
on TPG.

If you use youtube, there is a youtube page where you can see a comparison to
see how throttling is affecting you:

http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

It doesn't look good, but I am at work.  I don't have any expectation that
youtube should be good here.

Basically, normal internet use would see lots of peaks and troughs. When being
throttled, the lines flatten out somewhat, and are below the average. My speeds
are consistently below Victorian average, and I’m on Telstra’s fastest product.
WTF?

I'll look at it on my vdsl2 connection at home, I'm paying for 100/30 there.
vdsl seems to work better than adsl, but I think it's the typical installations
(fibre to apartment basement, cat 5 to vdsl2 modem in apartment.) that fix the
degradation with distance adsl suffers.  Cable would be HFC?  THat depends on
how many users you have running off the local fibre node?  I refer you to
Graeme Samuel

http://www.zdnet.com/fttn-hfc-are-dead-end-nbn-alternatives-samuel-7000005901/

HFC networks have gotten so bad that Samuel joked that he advises neighbours at
the street Christmas party not to subscribe to Telstra's "hopeless" HFC — just
so "at least I can continue to get reasonable speeds at 8 p.m."

"Fortunately, most people listen to me as the local expert on the subject, and
don't go onto Telstra's cable for their broadband," he laughed. "It's a great
relief in my street."

Bring on the NBN I say.

</rant>

Regards,

Tony

--
Meski

  <http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv> http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure, you'll
get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills