From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com]
On Behalf Of David Connors
Sent: Monday, 5 November 2012 9:20 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: [OT] BigPond You Tube throttling

Late to the thread but "Cable is contended" is a furphy.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Tony Wright <tonyw...@gmail.com
<mailto:tonyw...@gmail.com> > wrote:

I'm interested in seeing how many of you experience YouTube throttling. It
irritates me that I have BigPond Cable Ultimate Liberty, experiencing
download speeds of between 50Mbps and 100Mbps most of the time, but any time
I visit YouTube or ABC iView, I get atrocious speeds. I never got this when
I was on TPG.

That is what the Internet does. I would think that YouTube would be a small
amount of traffic for BP vs BitTorrent etc.

More likely explanation: Telstra is notorious for not participating in any
sort of Internet Exchange schemes where as other ISPs like TPG do. You would
need to look at the path the traffic takes from you to whatever CDN server
you're accessing on YouTube and compare that to TPG to understand the
topological differences - and that path will change like the weather anyway
based on what a variety of parties do in regard to traffic engineering.

If you use youtube, there is a youtube page where you can see a comparison
to see how throttling is affecting you:

http://www.youtube.com/my_speed

I get 13.37 mbps out of a 45 mbps link here at work. Looking at the graph it
fluctuates between 19 and 8 - so proves two tenths of fk all really as the
link speed isn't changing like that. Based on that I would probably blame
iiNet business for throttling YouTube too.

Basically, normal internet use would see lots of peaks and troughs. When
being throttled, the lines flatten out somewhat, and are below the average.
My speeds are consistently below Victorian average, and I'm on Telstra's
fastest product. WTF?

Here's the thing: All of this talk about 'cable being shared' is based on
all too common assumptions about the topology and contention ratios of
resi-grade broadband products.

In an HFC network, yes you do share the C part of that with everyone else in
the same run, but as soon as you make it to the exchange, you are also
sharing the F part of that with everyone else.

Resi-grade contention ratios are typically 80:1 to 250:1. That means, if
they have 80 subscribers with 20mbps links, they will have a 20mbps link out
of the exchange - or if they're really cheap and nasty they might have a
20mbps link out of the exchange per 250 customers!

I don't know what the average backhaul out of an exchange is but I doubt it
would be much beyond 100mbps - that stuff costs money. You can get crappy IP
Transit for 30 bucks a megabit a month and good stuff for 60 bucks a megabit
a month in Oz. So 100mbps uncontended link will be 3000-6000 bucks a month
delivered to a DC somewhere central. Yes, this is not what the ISPs charge
themselves but it should give you some context to consider when you think
about how networks are planned. There simply is not 1-10gbps links into each
exchange with bandwidth for everyone all the time.

You can buy uncontended business grade DSL services, but you won't get much
change out of 500-1000 bucks a month as they have to allow for your
bandwidth utilisation all the way back to the core of their network. Even
then, it doesn't really make much sense unless you're building a corporate
WAN because the whole Internet is contended anyway and you'll lose any sort
of traffic prioritisation/special treatment as soon as you leave their
network.

The only reason the contention ratios work in Oz is that we have tight
quotas so you can't really clog the backhaul too much. In the US apparently
cable is awful because they have unlimited cable plans - but the ISPs doing
that have made a rod for their own back.

Bring on the NBN I say.

Today you have a very low latency 100mbps HFC link going into a contended
resi-grade network with variable performance and an 80-250:1 contention
ratio.

On the NBN you will have a very low latency 100mbps fibre link going into a
contended resi-grade network with variable performance and an 80-250:1
contention ratio.

Even the last mile in the NBN is contended - just that the numbers are
higher. Anyway, I doubt contention at the head-end of your HFC segment is
your issue at all, certainly not in relation to YouTube. Even if they shaped
YouTube, which I doubt they would be bothered to, I doubt they would be
policing it for HFC customers and differently to anyone else. It uses stuff
all bandwidth really.

David.

--

David Connors