I think I've seen plenty of suggestions to avoid using IE in similar
circumstances.

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Wallace Turner
Sent: Friday, 11 January 2013 4:53 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: [OT] Java 0-day vulnerability

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/01/10/new-java-vulnerability-is-being-exploited-in-the-wild-disabling-java-is-currently-your-only-option/

>Overview - Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability
>that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on
>a vulnerable system.

>We recommend that regardless of what browser and operating system you're
>using, you should uninstall Java if you don't need it. If you do need it, use
>a separate browser when Java is required, and make sure to disable Java in
>your default browser.

Most 'media' sites recommend the same action (perhaps they got it from the same
source) - I can't help but feel a little sorry for Java and the conspiracist in
me is firing up.

If I had a dollar for every time there was a windows/IE.NET vulnerability with
the same risk ( allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary
code) ... and no media outlet suggests uninstalling windows or .NET.