Okay, that's a different reason than what was previously given ;)  If you
are having trouble with brace matching, hard to see how that is more
readable.  But more to the point, you've really answered your own original
question: if the projects you are involved in don't let you choose the
language, it is unlikely they'd let you dictate the style. So what you
should aim for is consistency, and in the projects you are working with,
consistency with the style(s) used in the existing code.