Perhaps the question you should ask is why would they expend the effort in
releasing a 64 bit version?
Keep in mind you can already compile for x64 from Visual Studio.
There would be a lot of code to change for little benefit.
In terms of performance there is little to gain and indeed a lot to lose.
64 bit addressing takes up double the space for instance so cpu cache and
memory usage is going to go up.
The only thing you conceivably gain is the ability to have greater than 4gb
of memory usage in the visual studio process. If you really think you need
this you might need to be looking at trimming down your solution size; you
are doing something wrong.