Gmail definitely does "ignore" self emails -- sometimes! I don't know
what exactly determines when it does and does not, but some mailing
lists are afflicted and some not. (Of course some mailing lists
explicitly don't return mail to the sender, or can be configured to do
so, but it is confusing when that is turned off and yet Gmail doesn't
seem to acknowledge receiving the message back.)

Also note when sending via Gmail's servers (from and) to your Gmail
account (but via an external email client i.e. via SMTP) the same
message is in my Gmail Sent Items and Inbox. It's not seen as two
separate messages.

Mark Hurd, B.Sc.(Ma.)(Hons.)