I know that Microsoft, Google, others have been using DMARC for over a year,
but that doesn't explain your more recent drop-off in spam.

(I had to search, found this
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/249028/google_microsoft_and_facebook_battle_
phishing_with_new_specification.html> ; I'm sure I had read about it well
before January last year)

Major Internet companies including Google, Microsoft, and Facebook have
announced a new specification to streamline the way e-mail providers work
out whether messages are part of phishing attacks using spoofed domain
addresses.

In testing for two years and called DMARC <http://www.dmarc.org/index.html>
(Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance), the
initiative is really an attempt to impose a single set of policies on the
sometimes arbitrary way that way companies separate the good e-mail from the
bad.

  _____

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia