I copied EVERY dll referenced by the project over to the test machine and
it still fails. I was suspicious that the test machine it did work on had
Visual Studio 2012 installed on it, so I uninstalled VS2012 and all other
development tools (it's an old spare VM) and now it crashes there as well.
So VS2012 is putting something on the machine that allows my app to run.

I'm absolutely stumped, and I thought I knew how this stuff works. I just
can't find what is the missing ".Net data provider".

As an aside: I just noticed that the Framework library project references
are to files in these folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference
Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETFramework\v4.5\System.Data.Entity.dll
Didn't they used to be in the GAC? When did they move over to Program Files?