Honestly they are just parroting Apple AppStore. I don't mean that in a bad
way in that people aren't stupid in in the company but one has to settle on
a core cultural reality - everything in Microsoft is about compete, the
company is obsessed with one-uping the competition but they fail more and
more to realise WHY they are competing. You can easily get sucked into the
idea of "We have to beat Apple" cheer leading and hardly if not barely
anyone turns around and ask the question "Why?"

Point in case -
http://www.globalnerdy.com/2013/04/30/delusional-ceo-of-company-scrambling-for-distant-third-place-says-theyll-be-the-absolute-leader-in-five-years/-
Microsoft staff held a funeral for iOS / Android on the day Windows
Phone
went gold master. It's one thing to be confident and believe in your
product its another to be so arrogant and delusional? Rather than celebrate
their product with a sense of pride or fist pumping they instead came at it
with the whole "Knife the Baby" aggression - the very thing that made the
DOJ turn around and simply say "Ok, that's enough.."

Windows Store doesn't solve a problem if they actually gave the problem an
actual original thought then actual Store would look like something you'd
buy from. They have XBOX Store as an example, Zune Marketplace as another
example so it's not like they haven't actually had success here..  in the
case of Windows 8 they simply just gave up.

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com