Folks, just a heads-up. I had the classical challenge of showing a strip of
thumbnail images in response to grid row selections. I was about to clone
some code I wrote many years ago that did something similar, but it was a
tangle of code which put requests in an asynchronous queue. Then I vaguely
recalled reading about the "IsAsync" Binding property fewer years ago in WPF
Unleashed <http://adamnathan.net/wpf/>.

Well, IsAsync is miraculously easy and it works as advertised. You assign
multiple binding properties, each one is expected to take a different
amount of time, and it all just works. The basic example
HERE<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.data.binding.isasync.aspx>shows
how to do it. Hundreds of lines of my ancient code was replaced with
about 10 lines, so I presume I didn't ever notice IsAsync back then.

Because the binding runs on a worker thread you can't return something
forbidden to use across threads, so I had to return the string URI of the
image and not an actual BitmapSource.

I don't think you can do this in Silverlight, but I'm not certain.

Greg K