Hi Greg,

Back in the dreamtime, you could only have a single copy of SQL Server
installed on a computer. When SQL Server 2000 appeared, they provided the
ability to install additional copies (ie: named instances) of SQL Server in
addition to the "default" instance. At the time, you could have 16 of them,
now you can have 50 of them.

When you connect just using the name of your computer, you are connecting to
port 1433 for the default instance.

Using an unmodified installation, SQL Express installs itself as a named
instance called "SQLEXPRESS", so instead of connecting to "mycomputer"  you
would connect to "mycomputer\SQLEXPRESS". You could also use the shared
memory provider by connecting to ".\SQLEXPRESS" or "(local)\SQLEXPRESS".

You can install Express as a "default" instance but that won't be what you
will have done. You will have installed it as a "named instance" called
SQLEXPRESS.

The default for "named instances" is that they use dynamic ports. That's why
you will have seen 0 in the port settings in SQL Configuration Manager. When
you connect to "somecomputer\someinstance", your client starts by having a
UDP based discussion (on port 1434) with the SQL Browser service. That
service returns details of the port that the instance you mentioned is
currently listening on. Your client then connects to that port.

Named instances can, however, be configured to use fixed ports.

What it sounds like you have now configured, is that you have a named
instance configured for port 1433. While that's uncommon, there's nothing
wrong with it per se. It just means that if you then tried to install a
default instance (for example a SQL Server developer edition) using default
settings, that install would fail.

Dr Greg Low

1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913 fax

SQL Down Under | Web:  <http://www.sqldownunder.com/> www.sqldownunder.com