Thanks Doctor L, thank makes pretty good sense about the fixed/dynamic
ports. It's funny no one mentioned this issue to me before. I don't like
having non-standard setups, so I'd actually prefer to leave all the ports
the way they were for my SQLExpress instance, but then I don't know how to
connect to an instance from the outside world -- Patient K