This *might* help you...

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2013/04/04/debugging-asp-net-web-api-with-route-debugger.aspx

Not sure. Most of the web api playing I've done (nothing yet for real, just
having a look) I also had a normal web app. So I'd run and debug the web
app, and because the web api side of things is in the same solution, any
debugging hits breakpoints etc. Nor sure how you'd go about debugging with
just web api. Perhaps you can attach debugger to you iis instance (or
whatever you are using)