On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Stephen Price <step...@perthprojects.com>wrote:

> I can right click a movie or whatever and select play to for my Xbox One.
> Not sure if my Samsung TV shows up but I don't have it plugged in, its
> essentially a dumb terminal for all the other devices.
>
> On that note its the only way I can play movies from my local network on
> my Xbox One. There's no way to browse the local network with my XBox One.
> Its majorly crippled. Its easier to play stuff off the Internet than it is
> from my own network.
> I tend to use my Gigabyte media center for movies. Rather dissapointing
> when your newer console is less capable than your older one(s). Progress
> right? :(
>
> Miracast with my Dell Venue 8 is a fail but that's due to my TV not
> supporting it. Yay for standards... Bleeding edge technology....

Since finding DIaL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIscovery_And_Launch),
DLNA is dead to me. I got a mate in the US to send over a bunch of
ChromeCasts and it is the way forward. $35 per first screen and you use
'whatever' phone/tablet/app to tell it to download content. Sure as hell
beats the brain dead UX on my Bravia for finding media as the device you
send commands from is anything and disconnected from the source and
destination of the streaming. It is so frickin simple and widely supported
from second screen apps on android/ios. Latest release also supports Plex
for local media.

YMMV.

David.