I'd appreciate some advice, from those who dabble in this area (home
networking, media server).

As Windows 10 RTM approaches, I've been thinking of replacing my aged home
network, based on a nice little HP Proliant Microserver N36L with 8Gb RAM
running the defunct Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm not sure I need the capability of Windows Server Essentials. Maybe
Windows 8 or 10 would do the job?

Currently the HP is not even serving media, being used as file storage and
not using its RAID capability. But with larger storage at good prices these
days (eg, WD Red or Black 3Tb at the best price-point), should I be using
storage spaces on a newer OS?

I'd like to also use it as a media server, not sure what Windows 8 or Server
Essentials would offer.

Thanks

  _____

Ian Thomas