Few years ago when I had lots more free time and no company to run and keep
me busy I used to sell some of my time on www.elance.com (similar site with
freelancer).
I had some pretty unique skill set and I was not competing with the mass of
developers on there and I was getting quite often offers for various
complicated projects: Visual Studio plugins and extensions, Outlook
extensions, couple of custom skype plugins, random debugging & fixing jobs,
web & sql performance, code and architectural reviews. Some of the projects
I only had to start them and get them to a point where a cheaper or not so
experienced developer could pick it up and continue/finish/polish/maintain
which was very cool.
I liked the projects I did and because of my odd skillset I was getting
some nice money but never enough to sustain a family or make it primary job.
If you can differentiate yourself you'll get every now and then some cool
projects. There are millions of web developers with
PHP/jQuery/WordPress/random framework.