I've tried fiddling with IE11's trusted sites, compatibility settings,
different versions of the SDK and runtime, adjusting active plugins,
running VS2015 under different accounts, running IE11 under different
accounts, creating dummy SL5 projects, adjusting object tag versions,
comparing Win8 and Win10 behavior ... and more I can't recall.

All I've learned is that there is no problem at all on my old parallel Win8
VM with the same software, and I can run remote SL5 apps when I'm the local
Administrator. So there's a small clue about the user account, but I don't
know what to make of it yet.

*GK*