GL, I didn't actually mention it, but I have a few Azure SQL DBs up there
and, as you say, they're easy to use for sure. I love the way you can
migrate and upload from SQL Studio with a few clicks, just change the
connection string and off you go -- *GK*

On 7 March 2016 at 09:49, Greg Low (罗格雷格博士) <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
>
>
> If you’re after simple, what does the Azure SQL DB T-SQL interface make
> hard? You don’t even need any NuGet package to work with it. They set up
> and run the DB.
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
> Greg
>
>
>
> Dr Greg Low
>
>
>
> 1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile│ +61 3 8676 4913
> fax
>
> SQL Down Under | Web: www.sqldownunder.com
>
>
>
> *From:* [email protected] [mailto:
> [email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Greg Keogh
> *Sent:* Monday, 7 March 2016 9:46 AM
> *To:* ozDotNet <[email protected]>
> *Subject:* Re: Azure Table query "not null"
>
>
>
> Hi Ian et al, I reckon most of the replies in the article are spot on
> regarding price, capacity, speed, transactions, etc (except for the last
> person who hates Table Storage for reasons I don't think are justifiable).
> You have to know in your bones if your data is *relational*
> (normalisable) or not, and if it needs what SQL server give you: joins,
> optimized queries, transactions, etc. I'm sure anyone worth their hourly
> rate knows in their bones if you need an RDB or not. If you need an RDB
> then use Azure SQL.
>
>
>
> So when is Table Storage a good choice? I think the choice is narrowed
> greatly by the fact you must use two string keys per table with no joins.
> If you can coerce your data to work this way then Tables are great. I use
> them for log files and lookups. I even have a pair of tables with a fake
> join property, I can't update them in a transaction, but updates are rare
> and it doesn't matter in this case.
>
>
>
> Using the key pair makes me do artificial things at times. For example, my
> log files have the PartitionKey as the machine name and I make a RowKey like
> this:
>
>
>
> yyyyMMddHHmmssfff-nnn
>
>
>
> The nnn is a cyclic counter suffix to allow up to 1000 inserts in the same
> time interval. Doing this seems cludgy, but it's what the string keys
> demand of you.
>
>
>
> For me, the greatest things about table and blob storage is the
> ease-of-use. You just add a Nuget package and in a dozen simple lines of
> managed code you have it working. If I were to use Couch, Mongo, Raven or
> any other such DB I'd be stuffing around with unfamiliar runtimes, hosts,
> dependencies, installations and documentation. As a coder, I want things to
> "just work" without hours of suffering and learning, and the Azure storage
> APIs are simple and productive.
>
>
>
> *GK*
>
>
>
> On 6 March 2016 at 18:45, Ian Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I wondered about Azure SQL vs Azure Table Storage pros and cons, and to
> lessen my ignorance looked at a few Q&A at Stackoverflow.
>
> This part of a response (5 years to 2 years  old, so the balance may have
> changed considerably) is one person’s opinion, but I’d be interested in
> Greg Low‘s comments on it:
>
>
>
> *When should i use Sql Azure and when should I use table Storage?
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4930368/when-should-i-use-sql-azure-and-when-should-i-use-table-storage>*
>
> this is an excellent question and one of the tougher and harder to reverse
> decisions that solution architects have to make when designing for Azure.
>
> There are mutliple dimensions to consider: On the negative side, SQL Azure
> is relatively expensive for gigabyte of storage, does not scale super well
> and is limited to 150gigs/database, however, and this is very important,
> there are no transaction fees against SQL azure and your developers already
> know how to code against it.
>
> ATS is a different animal all together. Capeable of megascalability, it is
> dirt cheap to store, but gets expensive to frequently access. It also
> requires significant amount of CPU power from your nodes to manipulate. It
> baiscally forces your compute nodes to become mini-db servers as the
> delegation of all relational activity is turned over to them.
>
> So, in my opinion, frequently accessed data that does not need huge
> scalability and is not super large in size should be destined for SQL
> Azure, otherwise Azure Table Services.
>
> Your specific example, transactional data from financial transactions is a
> perfect place for ATS, while meta information (account profiles, names,
> addresses, etc.) Is perfect for SQL azure.
>
>
>
> All the other answers to the NULL question that I have seen (for table
> storage) have some sort of “clumsy” testing, along the lines that GK has
> used. There are several lnks (elsewhere on SO – see the side-panel links to
> other questions on null testing) some of which lead to Microsoft guides,
> which may be helpful.
>
>
>
> Ian Thomas
>
> Albert Park, Victoria 3206 Australia
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
> On Behalf Of Thomas Koster
> Sent: Sunday, 6 March 2016 5:27 PM
> To: ozDotNet <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Azure Table query "not null"
>
>
>
> On 4 March 2016 at 18:03, Greg Keogh <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Folks, anyone using Azure Tables Storage in anger? I really like it,
>
> > simple and effective.
>
> >
>
> > What is the query syntax equivalent of SQL "not null", that is, a row
>
> > has a named property? I have a table with tens of thousands of rows,
>
> > but only a small percentage contains a property value named
>
> > ErrorMessage, and I want to select them only. Going ErrorMessage neq
>
> > "" works but it's too ugly to believe there isn't a better way.
>
>
>
> OData has a "null" literal, but I don't know if they have it in Azure
> Tables (I have not used it "in anger").
>
>
>
> Have you considered including something in the RowKey so that you can
> distinguish these rows from the rest with a range query instead?
>
>
>
> --
>
> Thomas Koster
>
>
>

Reply via email to