>
> I stumbled upon this MSDN "Patterns and Practises" page that describes
> what I am talking about.
>
>   https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-au/library/dn589791.aspx
>

I like that article, it's sensible and it describes when you should and
should not use the technique of making artificial indexes to speed up
queries.

On the weekend I ran a technical experiment to convert my personal
SQL Server database of music, videos and books into Azure tables, and I
think it went quite well. It forces you to "renormalize" everything into a
different shape to use two string keys, and in one case I did have to
create an artificial index table like the article describes. Of course
there are very limited transactions and no join concepts in Azure tables,
but I don't mind working around that to get the particular benefits of
table storage (mainly that it's dirt cheap and fast).

*GK*

Reply via email to