From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Nathan Schultz
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2016 9:49 AM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] node.js and express

Ack.. meant OutSystems IS a heavy solution.

On 22 November 2016 at 09:45, Nathan Schultz <milish...@gmail.com
<mailto:milish...@gmail.com> > wrote:

@Ken; except that thick clients also are easier to debug and maintain as well;
in fact the whole life-cycle is shorter.

However I agree that fundamental drivers are towards web-based applications.
Accessibility is the key; we're seeing the Internet of Things (IoT) exploding
in growth. A huge growth in cloud computing. People want to be able to access
everything they need no matter where they are. And thick clients are simply not
transportable.

These days I use OutSystems to generate my line of business reactive
web-applications quickly and easily (it's very reminiscent of old style RAD
tools - with similar limitations). However it doesn't come cheap (I'm lucky in
that my company pays for it), and isn't perfect. But never-the-less, we
re-developed an old thick client application (which has continually grown to
mammoth proportions over a decade), and re-developed it (including new
features) as a reactive mobile-friendly web-application in under 8 months. I
find it's ideal for data driven line-of-business applications; but it's not
something I'd reach for, for complex process heavy operations where every
millisecond counts (although you can call .Net assemblies natively, or consume
REST web-services that you can build yourself to get around this).

I still keep my eyes somewhat on traditional web-development (OutSystems is not
a heavy solution). I've had a lot of enjoyable moments with Elm, but it's still
immature and some simple things are still infuriatingly hard in it. However,
it's got a good foundation, and I think in time it will turn out to be very
good.

On 22 November 2016 at 09:25, Greg Low (罗格雷格博士) <g...@greglow.com