From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Ken Schaefer
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2016 2:29 PM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: RE: [OT] node.js and express

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com<mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com>
[mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On Behalf Of Nathan Schultz
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2016 1:53 PM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com<mailto:ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>>

But many of the same problems persist on the web, and the web has brought
entirely new challenges. The web has all the same issues of DLL hell -
different components need different versions of the same component - like the
other day I saw a project where there required multiple versions of JQuery due
to different component requirements - and the hacks required to ensure that the
right version is used for the right components isn't pretty. And apps are no
longer isolated within the company - you're not developing for a particular SOE
anymore - but rather a polyglot of devices with different operation systems,
software, features, sizes, resolutions and capabilities. Testing if anything is
a longer process than ever before. Licensing for some software is on a per-user
basis on the web, which brings it's own challenges for anonymous systems.
Deployment must still go through a full change management process (there are
still a multitude of things that can go wrong), and when you consider the same
thing could occur today using one-click deployment, sand-boxed applications,
and Docker containers, the web doesn't have an ace up its sleeve there either.

In my experience, part of the reason that enterprises prefer stuffing all that
complexity resolution into the development effort (or getting your vendor to
take the hit in their development effort) is that it’s project cost. It makes
it much clearer what the true cost of “application X” is to the business.

If the alternative is passing the cost to BAU/Ops (in terms of managing
interoperability and keeping an end-user fleet of devices running), it becomes
far more murky as to what is causing the complexity and how much it’s costing.
Whoever is funding the project will cut whatever they can (whether it be
security, sociability testing, monitoring instrumentation), and make it
Operations problem.

As for “click once” etc. that’s just solving a small technological piece of a
puzzle. How do I do deployment accounting/licensing etc. via click-once?

My current org is ~40,000 users spread from Sydney to Woomera – do not
underestimate the complexity of deploying or upgrading anything critical in
that type of environment: when we used to run a distributed Active Directory
environment (so that local branches could keep running if the WAN was down),
simply upgrading AD schema was a 9+ month project, where we ended up auditing
every DC (around 150 branch ones at the time) to verify that their out-of-band
management cards were working (about 20 needed replacing, or were not cabled),
and had to roster tens of support techs to be ready to drive/fly out to a site,
just in case we had to pull the upgrade process due to something going
catastrophically wrong. The change had to be done over a long weekend, because
that was the only time that gave us enough lead time to do an authoritative
restore. Now, upgrading AD isn’t particularly important to a bank – and if I
was IT leadership I’d be asking: “why can’t I deploy a core systems upgrade, or
upgrade online banking during this key window? Why am I upgrading ‘AD’,
whatever the f*ck that is”

Now, it’s all sitting in our data centres, and we could probably do a scheme
change overnight if we had too. There are lots of Ops benefits to centralising
all your core logic and systems.

Cheers
Ken