The whole web committee structure is why we are stuck in purgatory quagmire
swamp of hell.

For example, when ECMA 4th Edition almost got legs to move JS forward but
Adobe were being a bit of a political animal when it came to hedging their
technical bets. Basically, at the time Adobe donated a bunch of tech to
Mozilla foundation (
http://blogs.adobe.com/billmccoy/2006/11/adobe_open_sour.html)  to set the
stage for ActionScript to become more legitimate under the ECMA umbrella,
but in doing so would have likely moved Flash deeper into the acceptance
online beyond HTML. Keeping in mind Flash in 2006 was so popular that
Google/Microsoft saw it as a likely threat to the web, given if everyone
moved off transparent HTML and into a more encompassed tech such as a
runtime like Flash, well, Google for one would have been starved of revenue
oxygen (as you can't index .swf files at the time). There were a few other
political issues but essentially ECMA really went into a major stall after
that and its only once Flash has knifed that the actual momentum behind
JavaScript picked back up again (sure it was being used despite Flash's
existence but it wasn't as prolific in adoption as it is today).

Like I say to many people - another word for a Flash is... a silver light,
and the roadmap for Silverlight was glued on top of a briefcase that also
said "Open when Flash is dead" and then inside that briefcase was a note
"Now delete Silverlight". There's what you folks see on the official
minutes and then there's the "beyond the curtain" corporate brand story...

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com