Greg, i'm using ubuntu 18 in production with 2 dotnet core apps. in fact i
just switched from windows/.netframework/mvc5 to dotnet-core on linux as
the base image for ubuntu is ~2gig vs 20-25gig for windows (after you run
windows updates eleventy billion times)

one piece of software i recommend is vagrant:

choco install vagrant

then after installed:

vagrant init ubuntu/bionic64
vagrant up

3 lines to get an ubuntu VM up and running (yes i know you can 'install'
ubuntu on windows10 now via the store but that is a different matter)