I have more information. After stumbling around and around the web Portal
looking for anything related to documentation I noticed a *Developer portal*
icon. The help indicates that this is the magic place where API
documentation is managed, but clicking the Publish button does nothing. 15
minutes later I discover that the feature is not available on the
consumption plan I chose.

The Basic production plan is ~$200/month which WAY beyond our tolerance
levels. Our API usage is so low that the consumption plan would have been
ideal, but in a Catch-22 there is documentation available.

Now I'll just delete the APIM feature and forget it.

*GK*