Hello

I was hoping some of the SQL experts here could help with a problem I am
facing. Currently have covid too so perhaps I'm not thinking clearly...

Long story short, is there a way in SQL Server to convert
strings (varchars) of any length to exactly 32, keeping uniqueness? It
would also be nice if I could convert them back to ensure I haven't lost
information.

Briefly, the reason I want to do this is my target is varchar(32) but the
IDs I am dealing with are made up of composite business keys of larger
length. I need to be able to use the current business keys and generate
unique 32 character equivalents in a deterministic way.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Tom